APULEIUS

Friday, September 29, 2023

Entry #1

The Trial Entry

Lucius Apuleius: The Philosopher and The Writer


Dear Journal,

Today was the most important day of my life. I faced a trial that could have cost me my freedom, my fortune, and my reputation. I was accused of using magic to seduce Pudentilla, a wealthy widow who became my wife. The accusers were her father-in-law Aemilianus, her son Pontianus, and her brother-in-law Sicinius Aemilianus. They were envious and greedy men who wanted to keep her inheritance for themselves. They hated me for being a foreigner, a philosopher, and a lover of Pudentilla. They slandered me with lies and malice, trying to convince the judge that I was a wicked and dangerous sorcerer.

The judge was Claudius Maximus, the governor of the province and a man of high rank and authority. He listened to the accusations and the evidence of the prosecution, and then he gave me the chance to defend myself. I was grateful for his fairness and his patience. I knew that I had to use all my skills and talents to persuade him and the audience of my innocence. I knew that I had to use my words, the best weapon I have.

And so I did, dear journal, I did. I delivered a speech that was eloquent and witty, logical and humorous, passionate and confident. I refuted each of the charges one by one, showing how they were based on false or twisted facts, on rumors or hearsay, on envy or prejudice. I exposed the motives and the methods of the accusers, revealing their hypocrisy and their injustice. I explained my background and my education, my travels and my studies, my interests and my achievements. I proved that I was not a barbarian or a charlatan, but a Roman citizen and a man of culture. I proved that I was not a sorcerer or a tyrant, but a philosopher and a husband.

And most importantly, dear journal, I proved that I loved Pudentilla with all my heart and soul, and that she loved me back with all her mind and body. I proved that we married with mutual consent and mutual respect, with joy and gratitude, with loyalty and devotion. I proved that we were happy together, despite the obstacles and the troubles that we faced. I proved that our love was not the result of magic, but of nature.

And it worked, dear journal, it worked. The judge was convinced by my speech, as well as the audience. They applauded me and cheered me. They praised me and congratulated me. They acquitted me and vindicated me. They declared me innocent of magic, and they honored me as a man.

And Pudentilla was there too, dear journal, she was there too. She embraced me and kissed me. She thanked me and supported me. She smiled at me and looked at me with love in her eyes.

And that’s how it ended, dear journal, that’s how it ended. The trial that could have been my downfall turned out to be my triumph. The speech that could have been my last turned out to be my masterpiece. The love that could have been my curse turned out to be my blessing.

And now I’m here with you, dear journal, writing these words with joy and relief in my heart. And soon I’ll be with her, dear Pudentilla, sharing these moments with love and happiness in our souls.

What a day this has been, dear journal, what a day this has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment